In May 2019, we launched the second annual Canine Critics campaign for our dog-friendly lifestyle brand, Canine Cottages, which looked for special hounds to become brand ambassadors.
As part of their prize, these four-legged critics from 10 UK regions would be responsible for testing out and reviewing the facilities in some of Canine Cottages’ holiday properties. Each entrant hoped to bag one of the coveted positions and receive a ‘salary’ of a free cottage holiday, access to local dog-friendly days out as well as a selection of free products from top brands to review.
We were overwhelmed by the response, with a staggering 51,850 applications submitted from dogs up and down the country, compared to around 4,000 the previous year.
The campaign was a great success in driving brand awareness, with the Canine Critics page receiving over 250,000 page views since the campaign launched in May.
After an almost impossible selection process, the 13 successful pups have now been revealed:
- North West – Toby & Amos: an inseparable pair of ‘wonderdogs’ with Toby guiding his blind partner-in-crime Amos
- Scotland – Maggie: a loving black Lab who gave her shy teenage owner a newfound confidence
- North East – Willow & Bobby: a pair of spaniels who love the outdoors and have a never-ending supply of energy
- Yorkshire – Penny: once the runt of the litter, she’s now a friendly and curious goofball who’ll try anything and everything
- The Midlands – Woody: a cheeky chap described by his friends as ‘a golden boy with a golden heart’
- Wales – Bear: a mischievous German shepherd who doesn’t let having two titanium hips get in the way of an adventure
- East of England – Dilbert: a characterful Cardigan Welsh corgi with a penchant for dressing up and chilling in cafes
- London – Puggy Smalls and Pops: husband and wife internet sensations living their best life in the city after Pops was rescued from a puppy farm
- South East – Barney: the floofiest Chow Chow on the block with a booty shake that would give Beyonce a run for her money
- South West – Honey: a gentle Staffy Cross who was adopted from Bristol Dogs’ Home at just a year old and is proud to represent ‘bully breeds’ with a lot of love to give
Canine Cottages’ PR Manager, Jo Price, said: “We had no idea quite how many dogs are looking for employment and would have loved to have hired everyone who applied a job! The selection process was unbelievably tough, and the calibre of applicants was outstanding. However, the 13 special pups we have recruited are fantastic and we’re proud that they will be representing our brand over the next year.”